Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 5 January 2010

Hello World!!!!!

Over the last couple of months I have had the great pleasure of meeting some really nice blokes whilst out pursuing my first birding love (drum roll please).......THE LITTLE OWL.
It was a couple of these guys who encourage me to start this blog to help keep them up to date with my continued drive and desire to locate, record and photograph a targeted 100 different little owl sites local to where I live in south leicestershire.
Well as this is my first posting I'm not quite sure how it is going to pan out but in time I will hopefully be able to put you in the picture of where I am with my quest for the 100. But without further ado I think it only appropriate for me to introduce to you my very favourite little owl 'scabby'. He's a cracking male bird and due to the direction work sends me he and I regularly 'eyeball' one and other over the hedgerow. He can be seen here posing on the log I gave him for xmas!
Well that's it for this posting...........over time I will explain how it all started.

3 comments:

  1. Looks great, Paul! I shall become a regular follower. How about adding a 'followers' gadget so that we can easily see when your blog is updated. All the best. Richard. P.S. - I've seen that camel before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Paul - I noticed you had an empty blog last weekend and wondered if/when you'd get around to posting your excellent Owly images. Hope you manage to slip a few other goodies in aswell.
    I guess site 31 is down the lane near me then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Skev said, nice one paul, also I have added your blog to my links section.

    ReplyDelete