Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 26 January 2010

KUKUMAVKA!!!!!!!

I have recently been contacted out of the blue by a guy called Milan Ruzic whom is working hard on publishing a book about a special nature reserve "zasavica" in Serbia!!!! It will be mainly about the birds to be found in that part of the world and will be one of only a handful of bird books ever to be published in Serbia. It will hopefully be published around March 2010 and its basic purpose is to improve public awareness for nature and birdlife in Serbia. On this particular nature reserve they have recorded 186 different species and Milan would like to have a representative image for every species. This is when he contacted me as he had seen this little owl (kukumavka..........ahh so that’s what it means?) image of mine on Birdguides and has since asked my permission to include it in his Serbian bird book. How could I refuse, especially as I have since found out that Milan and his friends have just started an organisation called "The Serbian Owl Conservation Centre" which is doing some large scale research on the Long-eared Owl.
Good Luck to you and your team Milan..................and I'm sure I speak on behalf of all UK birders. 
Little owl site 54, Broughton Astley - Lodge Farm.

1 comment:

  1. What a brilliant photo! I had such a good weekend with you and Ken. I look forward to working with you and your Little Owls!

    ReplyDelete