Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 17 January 2010

Owl N about - 17th Jan 2010

Finally some half decent weather today, I was hopeful it would encourage a few of the local owls out for good viewing and photo opportunities, how wrong I was there! Of the 20 or so sites I visited, sighting (and brief ones at that) were only made at 5 sites. This was a really poor return compared to similar weather conditions before xmas, has the cold snap taken its toll on the local little owl population??? Only time will tell!

Todays sites where owls were observed;

  1. Site 29 Lubbesthorpe - 2 birds

  2. Site 88 Enderby - 1 bird

  3. Site 91 - Kilby Bridge- 1 bird

  4. Site 53 - Countesthorpe - 1 bird

  5. Site 60 - Willoughby - 1 bird
I did however manage to get some images (below) of birds yet to grace this blog.

Where's owley?
This guy took some finding this morning, I heard him call but just
couldn't locate him....I did eventually..............can you see him?
   Site 29, Lubbesthorpe - Old Warren Farm
 
 
This was one of two birds at this site today, unlike the first bird which took to the wing as soon as I got out of my car this one was quite confiding.
Site 88, Enderby - Enderby Estate


Anyone for a game of hide and seek?
Site 91, Kilby Bridge - Wayside Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment