Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Saturday 9 January 2010

Captured at last!

Work took me over to Melton yesterday, this gave me an opportunity to look up an old friend that had so far eluded me and not yielded any images. As I pulled along side the nest tree a single bird was sheltering from the snow, he held fast for a few seconds allowing my first image of him albeit partially obscured by the ivy.
Site 41 - Gaddesby, Underlodge Farm
Later on in the afternoon I decided to take the back roads home and this took me by another site in Leire that can sometimes offer good views of LO's albeit somewhat distant and not good for images.............until now!!! Luck would have it a single bird was sighted quite close sheltering amongst the ivy, he seemed very reluctant to move allowing me this first ever image;-).
Site 62 - Leire, Valley View Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment