Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Monday 15 February 2010

Oh yes, get in there........No 96!

Went out early today for an hour or so before work, I had been given a firsthand report of a little owl sighting by a very nice lady I met (Eileen Carter) at a recent LROS meeting. I previously knew nothing of the owls at this site although I knew of two others very close by! I much prefer to find new sites myself without any help but beings I am so near to the BIG 100 SITES I had to follow it up. Today was my third visit to see if I too could locate them, I arrived before first light, parked up near to the suggested tree and waited, nothing doing after 20 minutes so I decided to try the call-back system (to play a recording of a little owl call to see if a reaction reply call could be prompted) nothing doing on that score either. This was prooving to be another wasted journey and was about to leave when a fluttering silhouette caught my eye in another tree a good 50 yards or so further into the field, I locked my binoculars onto the small black shape and BINGO!!!!! Come on in Little owl No 96......get in there!!!! The single bird then flew further away from me into another tree..........Hold on...........he had joined his mate, there was now two birds...........RESULT!!!!

First sighting & first image of the single owl in the nearer tree.
Site 96, South Wigston - Port Hill.

Image of the pair in the further tree, I assure the sceptics out there (if there are any?) that the two little black shapes in the centre of the image are deffo little owls............honestly! I will of course be returning to try and get a little closer in some better light for some much improved images.......watch this space! 

No comments:

Post a Comment