Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Thursday 25 March 2010

Pairs A Plenty!

This evening I visited a site where I had only ever previously seen 1 bird on two separate occasions and that was when it was almost dark so no images to speak of.........so far! Although I haven't mentioned it yet, I set my self a challenge of seeing at least 50, YES 50 different little owls this month. This was the reason that made me make the effort and get out there tonight even though the weather was just appalling, dark, windy and very wet. Nevertheless it turned out to be a fine evening for little owl sightings, although I make no apologies for the poor quality of the images because I can't do anything about the low light levels!

I didn't have to wait long before I located this bird sitting in a nearby ash tree, excellent, my first proper image from this site. Although difficult to see it is actually sitting on top of its nest hole entrance, small or what?


He moved around from perch to post and then to a stump giving me some different photographic opportunities.


He was obviously pleased to see me judging by that wink!!!


Another perch and another pose.


Then to really finish off an excellent half hour or so another bird appeared from nowhere, superb.... my expectations of more owlets for this summer increases with yet another confirmed pair!

Site 75, Peatling Parva - Preistlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment