Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Monday 1 March 2010

Smokey Hall & 98

As some of you will recall little owl site 98 was located in the dark last Friday night, but due to the call of the pub and a few tempting pints of the black stuff (that’s Guinness to the uneducated) I didn't explain what occured. Well, I had gained permission from a very kind gentleman (Mr Andrew Root) to explore the land in and around Hopyard Farm in Enderby. We went searching and after marching across a number of fields a single bird was finally located, it was in an ash tree next to a derelict old barn, unfortunately it was far too dark for any images.

The barn is better know locally as the hovel of smokey hall.

A return visit was made the next morning but no further owl sightings were made, however there was evidence a plenty in the barn that little owls were in residence and a couple of likely nest locations were found. After these discoveries an impulse decision was made that this barn would make an excellent location for one of my little owl nest boxes........so up one went box No 18!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment