Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Owl Central

Went owl n about again tonight but a bit later than normal, it was the setting sun that got my juices flowing. It just lured me out with the possibility of some nice evening images with that late golden glow, something I hadn't managed before!

I was pretty pleased with the results but unfortunately by the time I got to my chosen site that lovely golden glow had faded.........thanks to a really inconsiderate bank of clouds that blocked the light!




 A bit of wing stretching, shame he wasn't looking my way!

Once it got too dark for any more images I headed back home along a particular back lane (now known as owl avenue) not too far from home and within a half mile stretch I either saw or heard no fewer than five different little owls, three tawny owls and a single barn owl. Now you wouldn't want to be a vole in this location would you!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Great results Paul! I sense some megga expenditure on your part in the not too distant future. Will you ever be content to use your old lens again? However, perhaps the added weight might keep your feet on the ground, metaphorically speaking - it's certainly what keeps me from getting too jealous of people with huge prime lenses.

    ReplyDelete