Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Monday 3 May 2010

What do I know?

Update!

I forgot to mention that whilst out with Emily on Saturday we located a new little owl site (No 104) in a pollarded willow tree. Went back this morning with Gaynor (my wife) to investigate further. Once I'd located the potential nest cavity it was out with the "see snake" to see into the hole which was very long and dark. Even though I used it with the extension lead (taking it to over 2 metres in length) it still wasn't long enough to reach the nest chamber!!!! These little owls sure do burrow like rabbits at times.

Whilst in the roughly the same location my Mrs spotted a potential nest hole high up in a Popular tree, I told her it was a strange location and little owls just wouldn't nest there. She insisted we checked it out so to appease her I got the ladders off the landrover roof and clambered up. I offered the "see snake" into the hole and BINGO, 4 little owl eggs and site 105! 

Oh how smug she was..........and still is!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment