Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Friday 4 June 2010

Mission accomplished!

Tonight I was on a mission......to get a Little Owl image in the late setting sun that would have a hint of a "golden glow" about it. I went to Flash Farm, Narborough, a location just down the road from where I live. At this site there is horizontal limb that the birds here seem quite fond of, but upon arrival it was in complete shade, dohhhhh! When the owls finally showed it was just before 9pm, but by then the sun had moved round sufficiently for the favoured limb to be in reasonable light but it was fading, and fast! Then right on cue and just after 9.00pm an owl dropped into position with a beetle in its beak, I rattled of a few shots. The image below was the best of the lot and I am really pleased with it, and as far as I am concerned............mission accomplished! 

Double click on image for greater detail.

1 comment: