Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Elusive EL Owl.

I have just returned from my trip to Spain and my hunt for the local Little Owls was a total wipe out, well nearly! After spending many hours in pursuit of the little critters I only located a single bird and due to an "error 99" with my camera all images were lost!!!!

All was not in vain though, I did managed to salvage a few images of some the other species that I saw. 

Spotted Flycatcher 

Spotted Flycatcher (juvenile)
 
Serin

  Woodchat Shrike

Curlew Sandpiper ( I think? )

Southern Grey Shrike

Zitting Cisticola

Black Winged Stilt

Little Egret 

Little Stint & Little Ringed Plover

Squacco Herons


Yellow Wagtail (Iberiae Race)

Purple Herons



Although it was disappointing on an owling front in terms of numbers seen I had a very enjoyable couple of weeks and managed a few additions to my "Birding List" with first ever sightings of; Purple Heron, Squacco Heron, Little Bittern, Alpine Swift, Great Reed Warbler, Woodchat Shrike, Curlew Sandpiper and Zitting Cisticola.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the owl shortage, Paul. Nevertheless, it looks as if you had a great time. I particularly like the herons and the stilt. Well done!! I guess it's going to take you a while to get up-to-date on your sites at home now!

    ReplyDelete