Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Wednesday 8 September 2010

Hung like a Bull!

No time for watching owls tonight, I was far too busy erecting some of the first completed owl boxes in the second batch of 20. My very good mate Daz came along to lend a hand and do all the donkey work, he's a good lad you know!

The selected area was a huge pasture area south of the village of Willoughby Waterleys, an area that already has half a dozen or so established Little Owl territories. The location is a perfect choice for the boxes, plenty of grassy pasture, an abundance of isolated mature trees, dense hedgerow all around and best of all it is totally private with no roads or footpaths.

It was decided not to erect the first two boxes near to where any existing nests sites are, they were positioned "in between" territories, thus hoping to create attractive sites for the now roaming juveniles and an overall longer term denser population.

Daz doing the donkey work, I was directing the operation!!!!!!!


The first box in its final position, an Ash tree with a nice open aspect and a hedgerow running along underneath..........just about perfect!


The second box was erected in a mature Oak tree, again a hedgerow underneath which will offer protection to the birds as well as an excellent environment for them to grub around for food. Note how the green box blends in much better than the old brown ones did.


The 3rd box was also erected in a Ash tree, Little Owls are in residence here so we are hoping they will find the box a more attractive proposition and move in........time will tell.



Whilst putting up the 3rd box we were in close attendance of this menacing character, we kept a very close eye on him at all times, Daz reckons he is built like a bull, not sure which part of his anatomy he is referring to though!!!!


Only another 17 boxes to put up now, that'll be a job for this weekend, and the next weekend, and even the one after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment