Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Brown.....or Green??????

As regular visitors to this blog will know I have been recently making more Little Owl nest boxes, 40 so far. In the second batch I still have another 11 to make/paint and I am now undecided on which colour is actually best suited, brown or green? 

Here is a reminder of what both look like when erected out in the field.

Brown? 


Green?


You can help me in my decision making by casting your vote on the poll, it can be located at the top of the right hand side column on this blog, just click on the colour you prefer and then press the vote button, its as simple that................thanks for helping.

4 comments:

  1. I voted green but it would have to be a similar shade or a shade greyer than the one you have. Seems to blend into the trees better.
    Having said that, it's what the Owls like best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I totally agree with your comment, a sort of mid tone grey with a bit of greenish tinge and maybe a bit of bark ripple to enhance the effect, sadly B&Q can't help!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul. It'll be interesting to see what difference it might make when the leaves are off the trees. My guess is that a slightly darker and slightly greyer green might be less noticeable - I think that darker may be the main key! However, I'm surprised that with your skills and dedication, you're not finding the time to do a proper camo paint job!!! ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard, you stole my thunder!!!!
    Watch this space..........

    ReplyDelete