Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Monday 20 September 2010

I had a hunch!

This evening I went back over to Gilmorton to check on the "haystack" owl that I saw last night, site No 107 and true to form he was there again, better light this time around although still distant. 


On the way back I stopped off at a potential area that just  oozes Little Owl, this must have been the tenth time I have stopped here without ever seeing anything before, well if at first you don't succeed try try again, and again, and again and again............

Well tonight my perseverance finally paid off, a pair of Little Owls were located in an mature Ash Tree, the weather conditions made it a bit easier to locate them as they were sheltering out of the wind but in the sun, a tactic I have used before!!!
 
 Owl No 1, getting some sun!


Owl No 2, hiding in the depths of the tree.


The new territory located tonight takes my overall tally to 126 different sites, although it is very pleasing to attain images at a new site I am not totally happy due to the fact that I had to use a flash to lose the shadows, the owls didn't appear to be bothered though.

No comments:

Post a Comment