Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 12 September 2010

The Right man!!!

Not much time for owling this weekend, it was a trip over to Coventry to watch the footie early Saturday and then back to watch the rugby in the evening, a great day that was made all the better with a few customary pints of beer..........they kept me going!!!!! Then today it was more Little Owl box erecting, as explained in a earlier post I have been very busy lately making the second batch of 20 boxes, 3 were put up with my mate Daz earlier in the week and a few more this morning.

Only today, I had a new assistant, I think all the previous helpers suddenly find themselves busy when they know I'm looking for a hand........only joking fellers!!!!!  Mr Colin Green was the victim today and what a fine bloke he is to help with a chore of this type, he's a chippy by trade so together (well Colin) should make mince meat of the task in hand.  

Before we set off  we had a bacon roll and a cuppa, this was tactical on my behalf though as apparently grafters (like Colin) don't work as efficient on an empty stomach, so I thought I would fill him up and get the man at full steam for the morning!!

First stop was over at Whetstone Pastures, Colin was up and down the ladders in no time at all and the first box was up!


The second box at Whetstone Gorse East was put up even quicker, he was in the groove!


The 3rd Box at Whetstone Gorse West went up without a hitch, deffo the right man for the job, he can come and help again! 


At the 4th site at Willoughby, I was in charge of taking photo's, a job that is just as important as putting up the boxes!


 The 5th site at Kilby the man was just a blurr! 
 

The final and 6th box of the morning, the bacon butty deffo did the job!


And finally, just to prove I was there, and I did go up the ladder.......just the once!



Many thanks to Colin, he was a great help and superb company, even if he did sing (badly) country and western songs all morning!

So that's another 6 boxes up from this second batch, only another 11 to go. I guess I will be at it again next weekend, I wonder who's arm I can twist to help me then? Any offers.................... 

7 comments:

  1. I'm in Torquay mate other wise I'd be there really enjoyed it.....Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey he kept that very quiet Colin singing!?! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a lot of use at woodworking, I employ men like Colin so I'd recommend him for the job! Seriously, I can take photos of you on the ladders...

    Thankfully, on any twitches I've never heard Colin sing. He can demolish a bacon butty though. Just ask him about the value of those at Rainham and stand well back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it means that I can get some Owl images Like yours then call me any time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guys, it sounds as though Colin's singing is a bit of a rarity, I feel quite privileged!! I got the impression he was at it all the time, although I did gather he wasn't professionally trained!! Maybe he could give us a couple of renditions at the next LROS meeting, doing Dolly Parton maybe.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben, you are welcome to tag along anytime if you want some Little Owl images, just email me and we'll sort something out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolute rip off at Rainham Marsh Pauls were a lot nicer and cheaper..........Colin

    ReplyDelete