Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Thursday 30 September 2010

Super September!

As it was a reasonably bright evening and the last day of September  I dragged myself out for a couple of hours tonight to see if I could add some more sightings to what has already proved to be a very good month.

The only publishable image I managed was of this bird at site No 11 at Claybrook.


Even though I didn't managed any more images it was still a good evening, the second site to be visited was an orchard not far from Whetstone. Although I have never seen any owls here the landowner believes he hears them on occasions, he seemed quite convincing so last weekend I put up a box.

This was my first visit since then so I was very surprised and very pleased when as I approached a Little Owl flew from the box!!!  Blimey that didn't take long did it?........Get in site No 128!

I am really hoping they take up residence here as the setting is absolutely brilliant for photo opportunities, loads of light throughout the day and some very nice and interesting trees and perches,  I am going to spend some serious time here next spring if they move in.

Birds were seen at a further two sites ( No's 14 & 66) before the light beat me, and the good news here was these were the first sightings for a good six months!

So that's another month that has come and gone, and if my records are correct it was a record for me on two counts. Firstly it was the most productive month I have had with records being made across 38 different sites totalling 76 birds and best of all.........EIGHT new sites, it's going to be a long long time before I get anywhere near those figures again.....or is it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment