Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Saturday 20 November 2010

Out of the mist!

Whilst driving home last night I decided to take a slight detour and stop off at my site No 34, I've only ever previously heard owls at this site and the last encounter was months ago!

So when I pulled up and observed the area, I wasn't very hopeful of making my first ever sighting as the valley was cloaked in strange hanging mist, see image below.   


Unperturbed I drove down and parked up, there was this weird eerie feeling about the place, quite surreal really.  The lack of visibility seemed to heighten the senses, after a ten minute wait the silence was shattered, curdling through the gloom came the screech of a Little Owl. 

It was coming from the general direction of the old barn,  then it appeared!!!! I could just make out the owls  ghostly silhouette on the barn roof, brilliant my first ever sighting albeit a pretty dam poor one! 

I did manage this single image before it flew off, not good of the owl but it gives a sense of the atmosphere........very spooky!!!


1 comment:

  1. This looks so misty and spooky kind of look. Is it a smoke or a picture taken early in the morning due to mist and fog? Its really frightening.

    ReplyDelete