Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Friday 31 December 2010

2010 Review

What a superb year 2010 proved to be with my local Little Owls, on 289 separate site visits (spread across all my sites) I actually recorded a total of 517 Little Ow sighting.

For the year I had set myself 2 main objectives, firstly to make and erect 40 nest boxes and secondly to reach the magical 100 different Little Owl territories. I started the year on 93 and on April 9th the day I had been waiting for since Aug 2008 finally arrived, my 100th territory was located near the village of Huncote, a memorable day even though I still haven't managed a decent image yet! 

Although I promised myself that once the "BIG 100" was achieved the searching for new sites would stop, I was weak and actually exceeded all expectations and added another 40 making it 47 new sites for the year!!!

My run also continues of locating at least one new site per month since Aug 2008 (29 months and counting....), although there was a very  close scrape in March.

New sites by month, 2010. 

Jan - 2, Feb - 3, Mar - 1, Apr - 4, May - 4, Jun - 2, Jul - 2, Aug - 9, Sep - 8, Oct - 3, Nov - 5 Dec - 4.

My second main objective for the year of making and erecting 40 little Owl nest boxes was also achieved, 41 are up and in place, I still have 1 more to go but that's currently sitting in my garage (I'll do it in January!) many thanks must go to LROS for supplying the timber, the local land owners who gave me access permission and to Ron, Daz, John, Colin and Phil who all helped with erecting them.

Breeding evidence was recorded at 39 different sites producing a confirmed 82 juveniles, sadly only 1 pair successfully raised a brood in one of my boxes, although this was to be expected as the boxes were put up a little late! The Charnwood Ringing Group visited on the 14th of June,  and during the evening 5 sites were visited and a total of 15 juveniles and 1 adult were rung, many thanks to them.

And Finally, a selection of some of my images captured during 2010, not necessarily the "best ones" quality wise, just ones that have special memories for one reason or another, please enjoy..........   






























During the last couple of years of my Little Owl survey I have thoroughly enjoyed myself and it has become a labour of love. But more importantly it has become apparent that here in Leicestershire we are "bucking" the UK trend for a species reportedly in decline. In addition to the 140 sites I have located in South Leicestershire my good friend Richard Pegler has located 15 in NW Leicestershire, a whopping combined 165 sites!!! What I need to do now is try and understand why? I shall continue to search for more territories, monitor any breeding successes (and failures) and with the help of the Charnwood Ringing Group ring any juveniles that are reared in my boxes, hopefully in time the secret will be revealed!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Paul, on a brilliant year - largely due to your total dedication!! You deserve all the success that you've achieved. Thank you for the mention. What a pity that the year is ending with such dismal weather. Couldn't find an owl this morning - not seen one for over a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoroughly enjoyed following & sharing in your discoveries over the year Paul.
    A superb blog & i look forward to reading what you find out as you continue to study & collect data.
    Heres to a Owl filled 2011
    Health & Happiness to you & yours
    ATB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Richard/Steve and thanks for your comments, all the best for the new year to both of you......Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1st look at your blog. wow, your pics actually brought a tear to my eye. what fabulous little birds. i only know of 1 little owl which is located at RSPB Old Moor. S. Yorks. i am always very excited to get a glimpse when i visit. your dedication is remarkable. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the review of the year mate. It just goes to show how much time, money and dedication you have put in.... Well done and keep up the brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your very kind comments Jannyjan & Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I Got My Ex Husband Back...........

    I am Shannon by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address Makospelltemple@yahoo.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 2 days that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks for Dr.Mako. His email: Makospelltemple@yahoo.com OR. his phone number: +2348108737816.

    ReplyDelete