Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 4 January 2011

1st Birthday!

Wednesday 5th January marks a year since the first post on "Owls about that then".

Judging by the amount of visitors to the blog I definitely think the message is getting across about the demise and struggle to survive of the Little Owl.

I'm totally amazed by the 6,032 unique visitors I've had from 66 different countries, who between them have totaled up an astonishing 18,037 individual page views!

Many thanks to all of you who've taken the time to read my posts (hopefully not to boring) and look at my images (I think I am slowly improving) and it makes it all the more rewarding when readers make the effort to leave comments and remarks, of which mostly are very complimentary.

Thanks to you all, happy new year and here's to another 12 months of owl blogging.

Paul.

5 comments:

  1. Demise? Seems the only thing in decline around here these days is sites without Little Owls ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes thats very true Mark, but did you know that fact 2 years ago??? I'm regually contacted from folks all over the UK telling me they have no Little Owls, or very few where they live. So have the "experts" got it correct that they are in decline apart from here in Leicestershire (strange) or is it just a case in other parts of the UK that if the owl dosen't land on the end of their scopes they are just not there and in decline, I suspect the latter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and Happy New Year Rid ...!!! I hope you will continoue your remarkable work for many many more years !!! Goddess Athena's Wise Little Owls ..ought many to you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes Fani, many years to still to go, fingers crossed! HNY 2 U too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. little late.. but happy blogiversary (is that a word)
    I love owls and am a new follower... looking forward to catching up with your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete