Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Thursday 27 January 2011

Encouraging the natives!

It has got to the stage where I need to "spread my wings" so to speak in my quest to locate new Little Owl sites in Leicestershire. So far I have been on a one man crusade working mainly within a 6 or 7 mile radius of where I live. What I am looking to do now is try and find out if the concentration of territories I have is representative across the county.

Fortunately the local evening newspaper, "The Leicester Mercury" have ran a feature on how well the Little Owl is doing and through this article I am asking the residents of Leicestershire to help me locate more sites further a field by emailing me with details.

In the article they featured this image (below) that I took of the male Little Owl emerging from it's nest hole at my excellent "7 egg" site in Whetstone.


If you are interested in looking at the article click on the link below.


2 comments:

  1. I used to work on the grounds at Beaumanor Hall,Woodhouse,and reguarly saw Little Owls in the late evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the heads up on the LO's at Beaumanor Hall, i'll be checking it out soon!

    ReplyDelete