Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Wednesday 16 February 2011

If at first you don't...........

Didn't have too much spare time this evening, but what time I did have was put to good use. Following my owl article in the Leicester Mercury I was contacted by a resident from the village of Glooston which incidentally is in the eastern part of my Leicestershire survey area. 

I was informed of a couple of Little Owl sightings that were made last summer. Great just what I need, a hot lead. Well so far I have made about 7 visits to try and locate the owl and seen nothing, I was beginning to think that the owl that was seen last year was either a dispersing juvenile or an owl that had decided to move on, or even worse it had died? Well in fact I was wrong on all counts because this evening I finally caught up with it!

I'd been sitting in the car surveying the area and then BINGO!!!! I  located it sitting on a pile of old wood, and it was watching ME!!! A rather nervous bird that soon took flight the moment I opened the car window. Good news though as it only went and landed closer to me in a nearby tree, I think it came over to  check me out! This was the opportunity I was hoping for, much closer views but unfortunately the light levels weren't so good for photography purposes!

New Little Owl site No 154, Watching ME!   


Checking me out.


There's obviously a moral to the story somewhere, I suppose after all my failed attempts of not seeing the owl the moral must be.........."if at first you don't succeed try try again".

Many thanks to the resident who gave me the red hot info, can't believe I ever doubted it........sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment