Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Saturday 16 April 2011

On the wagon....for one night!

Last night I made an astonishing decision, I opted to stake out one of my more recently found Little Owl sites rather than go to the pub! Yes I am very much a creature of habit when it comes to having a few beers on a Friday night but in making the ultimate sacrifice it turned out that I was well rewarded.....

I opted to make my second visit to my site No 162 at Fleckney, I recorded a single owl here on the 26th of last month and I wanted to see if it had a mate, where its nest site was and if possible get an image.

I succeeded in all three objectives and with a nice bonus too! 

The male owl which was very vocal a times.


The male was soon joined by his mate.


And it wasn't long before they were at it!!!


On the way home and near to the village of Foston I had the additional bonus of spotting a Little Owl in a roadside tree in an area where I have never recorded one before. Attaining the image was risky business though, I had to pull half onto the verge of a very busy "fast" road and to make matters even worse it was on a semi-blind bend. The light had all but gone so my only option was to use flash,  I did at least manage this image but it only really qualifies as a "record" shot.!!!

New site No 166 near to Foston


A super couple of hours at site No 162, and a new site which takes my overall tally onto 166, a good decision to stay out I think...........I wouldn't have seen them in the pub!!!!

3 comments:

  1. If this is a result of a night on the wagon, it's time you went tea-total!!! Absolutely brilliant images, Paul!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following you. I love this website. I am planning to get to the UK soon for a visit and possible long term. I love to see the countryside. Thank you so much for sharing. Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard & JKW, thanks for your kind comments....

    ReplyDelete