Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Friday 1 April 2011

Zig Zagging!!

I finished work a little earlier than expected today and as not being one to waste an opportunity to get out, I did just that! I hadn't got much time though so I couldn't go too far, don't get me wrong its great photographing owls and I like nothing more than doing just that, but.............ITS FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!

So I opted to go to one of my newer sites just down the road at Croft, I have seen this bird on two or three previous occasions and its always tucked away inside an old brick barn which make getting a decent image a real problem, but not today!

Upon arrival I surveyed the site from distance and a single bird was seen sitting just inside a ledge. I approached with real caution painfully zig-zagging across the field until I was close enough to pull up and stop the engine. The bird was really cool with my presence, it didn't batter an eyelid! It was so relaxed it even dropped down onto a fence post, wow the first time I've seen it out of the barn.

I got my insperation for this image from Ben, he crops his images slightly different from the norm, and I think it works? Have a look at his web, I'm sure you will enjoy! Just click on this link  In search of nature.




That's it for this post I can't hang around, should have been down the pub 10 minutes ago, see ya!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cracking images Paul, hope you enjoyed your pint or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Bobbster, I ALWAYS enjoy a pint or two, or three, or four........!!!!

    ReplyDelete