Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Saturday 21 July 2012

Four out of five!

Another couple of hours were spent at one of my local sites, the owls here have now got so use to the Landrover they almost completely ignore the fact that I am there. Usually I park up a comfortable distance from the posts and perches that they regally use and normally within minutes they are on them just going about their business.

I pushed matters a little further on this visit and parked up nearer than I ever have before. It didn't seem to make any difference to them, but it did to me! I was able to get some full frame images at a focal length of 300mm. At times they were so close and I had to zoom out to 200mm!




As I mentioned in my last post I am now off work for two weeks and I am going to be concentrating my efforts at two different sites. Both sites have five birds at them, two adults and three fledged juveniles and my aim during this period is to attain an image of five of them together.  This next image is 80% of the way there with four of the five owls at my site No 87. They were all "in frame" together for about 2 seconds, consequently I didn't have enough time to either compose it properly or to increase the depth of field, but I will be ready next time!


1 comment:

  1. Hi!!.. Beautiful pictures and great shots..Lovely Owls on green backgrounds.. Cheers

    ReplyDelete