Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Friday 5 October 2012

Siskin

My house is smack bang in the middle of a suburban area and "exotic" visitors to my garden feeders is a rarity in itself. Plenty of the common tits, finches and doves do a good gob in eating all the white hearts that I put out but on the rare occasion I might entice the odd speciality.........but not often.
 
Great Spotted Woodpecker, Coal Tit and Bullfinch are about as good as it gets when it comes to rarities but today I had a very welcome visitor, no it wasn't an owl but a solitary Siskin!
 
 
Two years ago I did have a small flock of six individuals hang around for a few hours (no images as they were far too timid) but that is as good as it has got during the last thirteen years. So when I looked out today and saw this individual feeding amongst the Gold and Green Finches it was quite a treat. After a quick dash for the camera luckily a few record shots were captured. It was quite a confiding individual too, probably feeding up after a long migration? I'm not a lover of images which also shows the feeder but I had no choice in this instance. I'm happy with my solitary visitor, I just hope it hangs around long enough to maybe entice a few more individuals to come down and feed.

2 comments:

  1. Yet to get a Siskin visit my garden, great birds. Seem to be alot passing through Leics' & N'ptonshire at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had any in my garden either (Northants) but I have read that they are doing very well this year.

      Delete