Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Monday 29 April 2013

Barn Owl cam update......

A quick update from the Barn Owl cam. As can be seen in the latest screen shot (below) the hen owl now has four eggs. She laid her forth egg a few days ago so I guess that is it for this clutch. Although not easy to see the egg furthest to the left has been damaged, slightly flat on top with what appears to be a small puncture. I can only assume it was when she was moving them about or when hubby came and and mated with her (which he does on a daily basis!).   


I fear the damaged egg will not hatch so the maximum we can expect from this clutch is 3 chicks, that is unless the male owl continues with his amorous approaches and damages any more?

3 comments:

  1. Don't want to bring a downer or be alarmist but I'm wondering if the clutch of eggs (hopefully it'll be just the one) are infertile. The shell should be plenty stong enough for the BO to incubate and turn the eggs with either her body or talons, the attentions of the male also raises my eyebrows, birds just somtimes "know" when something ain't right...fingers and toes crossed I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been some time since I visited website with such high quality information about regarding Techno British. Thank you so much for providing such helpful information. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks.
    Hi, I was simply checking out this blog and I really admire the premise of the article this is

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul. I'm looking forward to further updates on the situation, but three out of four ain't bad!

    I see that a spammer (zehina marzi) has slipped through the net!!

    ReplyDelete